I’ll admit it. I’m not a huge NFL fan. The promise that “I didn’t have to know anything about NFL” convinced me to join a fantasy football league just to make quota. Give me a college football game any Saturday and I’m happy.
And oh, yes. I watch the Superbowl for the commercials (though that’s even losing it’s luster as I see the best ones prior to the game).
So, in honor of the big game on Saturday, I give you:
The Top Five Football Movies of all Time (in no particular order)
- Necessary Roughness (1991). I know–it didn’t get great critical acclaim. But, with a cast that includes Scott Bakula (I loved “Quantum Leap”), Rob Schneider, Jason Bateman, Sinbad and Kathy Ireland (as the kicker, nonetheless), it’s a fun movie with the requisite happy ending.
- The Blind Side (2009). This may be a no-brainer, but I saw this movie in the theaters, not expecting much. Instead, I walked out into sun, pleased as punch that I had red eyes and was sniffling.
- Varsity Blues (1999). Tweeter. That’s all I have to say about that.
- Rudy (1993).Before he followed Mr. Frodo to Mordor, but after he found the treasure of One-Eyed Willie, Sean Astin was Rudy. And no other “five-foot nothing, a hundred and nothing” football player ever got a movie made about him.
- Remember the Titans (2000). If the storyline isn’t compelling enough, perhaps the singing of “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” will convince you. Or Denzel Washington’s fabulous performance as a hard-nosed football coach.
And one extra: Quarterback Princess (1983). Am I the only person who saw and loved this movie? It’s a tv movie, so I’ll place it as an extra, but it’s totally worth viewing if you can find it.
There are other great football movies, some even about the NFL. Check out my Pinterest board to see the rest, or suggest your favorites.